which is all I am able to do at this point…
I sold my planning period - I will be taking over an ELP section. These are students who have failed a core class and are required to make it up in a “study hall” like class using online curriculum created by the teachers. We have too many students and not enough teachers. And, I was asked because they know I can handle the kids, as they are not the easiest kids to work with. I am excited by the opportunity, but already dread the LONG days.
Then, I will be tutoring after school two days a week and running my Academic Decathlon club at least once a week, until we get further into the curriculum.
Overall, it has been a good start to a great year. I am a bit worried, because I am now 1/4 of the way through my government class. We are on the trimester schedule and it is a one trimester class. Retweaking some ideas to fit better in the timeline.
This week’s low points:
- Falling down the 2 (yes, 2, chuckle away) stairs in my classroom, in front of my acadec kids, and scraping up my entire left shin. It was quite bloody and quite painful, but I jumped up, held the meeting bleeding and all.
- Realizing so many of my students face more hurdles than any adult should have to face, let alone these teenagers.
This week’s high points:
- Having students stay after to ask questions, study for retakes, and just hang out for a few minutes to chat.
- Starting a conversation with two students about their futures and how anything is possible if you work hard for it. And back up plans are a great idea.
- Payday Friday!! Which also meant the bi-weekly meet-up with some great teachers.
- And, a three day weekend!